Thought Catalog


Dorm Rooms Aren’t Built For Bangin’: 10 College Students Confess Their Most Awkward Dorm-Sex Encounters

Posted: 09 Oct 2015 01:13 PM PDT

nguyennguyen
nguyennguyen

1. Dazed, Naked, And Confused

“One time after I'd hooked up with some rando, I got up to go to the bathroom (naked, obviously). When I got out, I couldn't remember which room was his—I go to a huge school with huge dorms, so the possibilities were endless. I ended up wandering the hallway, stark nude, for hours.”

— Leslie, 21


2. The Inadvertent Break-In

“In freshman year, I went home with this guy who lived in a dorm that was modeled exactly like my friend Alexa's dorm. After the dude fell asleep, I tried to slip out—but I couldn't find my clothes. Drunk as shit, I figured I'd wander over to my friend Alexa's room to find some sweats. So I'm in what I think is Alexa's room, right, and all of the sudden these two random girls start screaming at me, ‘WHAT THE FUCK GET OUT!’ and I was still so hammered and disorientated that I just kept screaming back, ‘WHERE'S ALEXA! WHERE'S ALEXA!’ I proceeded to lock myself in the bathroom to hide, since the girls had, indeed, called the police.”

— Meadow, 19


3. Mr. Steal Your Girl

“Last semester, I took home this girl I'd hooked up with a few times. I guess I didn't realize how drunk I was, but soon after we stared hooking up, I had to excuse myself to boot in the bathroom. I was gone for 15 minutes or so—in that time, an ex-buddy of mine managed to slip into my room and…get to know my hook up. I walked on him under my covers, going down on her.”

— Quentin, 20


4. ….Someone’s Having Sex On My Couch

“My freshman year roommate and I never locked our door. One night, after a disappointing few hours of failing to get laid, my roommate and I stumbled into our room, only to find two straight up strangers fucking on our couch. When we were all, 'what the fuck?' and the dude looked up at us and goes, 'my bad, I got sexiled and your door was open.' We just started at him like… ‘SICK story bro, can you get the fuck out now?’ I swear we were there negotiating with both of them for a solid three minutes before convincing them to leave our room.”

— Raul, 23


5. Say My Name, Say My Name

“In sophomore year, a friend of mine started hooking up with my ex. I'd said I was cool with it because I didn't want to look like a jealous asshole, but in reality, it really wasn't chill—especially since the friend's room was right next to mine, so I'd see them going home together. So anyway, one Saturday night, I'm back in my bed jacking off (2 a.m., depressing af), and I hear them going at it (self-pleasure buzz kill for sure). I was about to put headphones in since our walls were paper-thin (classic) and I could hear way too much, but before I could, I heard my ex moan 'Owen!' followed by a sharp stop of the bed-breaking. It was a fucked up situation, but I couldn't help but brush some dirt off my shoulder.”

— Owen, 21


6. Caught With Nothing But My Dick In My Hands

“Uh last year, in a blackout state, I left my girlfriend's room to go to the bathroom naked (we've all been there, right?). I took a wrong turn, though, and ended up…outside, without an ID card to swipe back in. Bear in mind, we go to school up in Maine, and this was early March—fucking freezing outside, snow definitely still on the ground. So I had to use the emergency blue light phone so campus safety could come help me out, and I EXPLICITLY said to make sure to send a man. A woman showed up and I was just naked and drunk with my dick in my hands yelling, ‘I SAID TO SEND A MAN! I SAID TO SEND A MAN!’ Sweet lady though.”

— Nick, 22


7. The Orgy That Never Was

“One time I was having sex with this girl when her roommate walked in with her hook up. I stopped, thinking that she'd want to as well, but she seemed totally undisturbed, and just looked at me like, ‘nah, it's all good.’ So we kept having sex while the roommate and other guy got busy. Their beds were feet away from each other, and all of the sudden, I see this other dude reach his hand out to high-five me or something as he nails the roommate. Both girls were hot and theoretically, I should've been into it, but the whole thing was way too weird for me. I went soft and pretty seamlessly gathered my shit and made my exit.”

— Liam, 23


8. …The Orgy That Was (By Accident)

“During our freshman year, my best friend and I dated these guys who happened to be roommates. After one particularly drunk night, we woke up in the morning to an empty room (they both also played football and had left for practice). My friend and I didn't remember seeing each other the night before, so we were looking at each other so confused, like, ‘wait…did you sleep here last night?’ We came to realize that we'd both been having sex, in the same room, and had no idea.”

— Sophie, 20


9. Too Wet For Words

“Our dorm heating systems are particularly whack — it's either freezing or boiling hot, no in between. Last weekend, I was having morning-after sex with this dude I'd met the night before. His bed is right against the heater (which is on this early in the season, yes, because it's already brick in upstate New York), so while he was on top workin' hard, I was profusely sweating below him while exerting basically no physical energy. Like there was literally sweat rushing down my forehead and I had to really awkwardly wipe my face and be like ‘haha umm…yeaaaaaaaah haha…’ Meanwhile he's actually putting in WORK and not even breaking a sweat.”

— Carly, 21


10. Slip ‘N’ Slide

“I was once hooking up with this really hot but like, reeeeeally hairy dude in my freshman year. Those twin XLs kind of force spooning on you if you're sharing the bed, and I would regularly break out into a full sweat every time he slept over. One time, I got so agitated in my sleep, that I dreamed I was getting consumed by this huge, sweaty wave, and I started thrashing so violently that I kicked him off of the bed. Poor thing.”

— Austin, 22 TC mark

9 Things Women Appreciate More Than Dick Pics

Posted: 12 Oct 2015 07:03 PM PDT

dkafalas
dkafalas

1. When you listen to her. Women appreciate a man who is attentive and genuinely listening to the words they're saying. When texting, bring up something she said in a previous conversation to let her know you've been present in your conversations, instead of sending her a picture of your penis for no reason.
 
2. When you surprise her. Women love a man who keeps them on their toes. You know what kind of surprises women don't like? Opening a Snapchat thinking it's something funny from you but it's actually just a pic of your disgusting dick that was not requested in any shape or form. Oh god…it's actually a video.
 
3. When you respect her. You need to be mindful of a woman's comfort level and respect her wishes; a woman should always feel safe around you.  Literally the opposite of using up a woman's data by sending her unwanted digital images of your wiener that you, for whatever reason, decided needed to have a sepia tone filter applied to it.

4. When you get to know her. Make an honest effort to get to know her as an individual. You need to go beyond favorite movies, TV shows and things like that; try to get a grasp on her outlook on the world in general through genuine conversation. She will appreciate this way more than you asking her if she’s into Breaking Bad and then sending her a picture of your dick with a little Heisenberg hat on.

5. When you make her feel special. No woman wants to feel like she’s just another option for you. Don’t approach this with the attitude that maybe something better is out there; see where this takes you and go from there. One thing that definitely doesn’t make a girl feel special is a surprise penis portrait with just the word “sup?” sent with it.

6. When you are honest with her. There's really no substitute for the truth. If you're into her, let her know. If you're the kind of guy that think it's okay to ambush unsuspecting and innocent women just trying to meet someone with a cellular flashing, then you know, build a spaceship and ride it into the vast unknown of space and stay there forever.

7. When you refuse to play games. Don’t do the whole “I’m going to show this girl how much I’m into her by not texting her back” thing. Answer her texts when you see them, and if she’s answering your texts with 2 day waits in between, she’s probably into games and not someone who is ready for anything substantial. No strong relationship started with six months of them just fucking with each other. Additionally, no good relationship has started with an unsolicited dick pick within 5 minutes of initial conversation.

8. When you’re interest is deeper than surface attraction. Yes, attraction is important but not everything. Don’t look at her girl and decide she’s everything you wanted in your whole life just based on her face. Also, don’t decide a girl is a certain way because she posted a picture of herself in a bathing suit in the summer and get mad when she didn’t want a picture of your horrid boner.

9. When you don’t send a thousand texts in a row. People are busy, and you need to be patient when you just start talking to someone. If you don’t get a text in an hour, just assume she’s busy and will get back to you. Don’t send her a dick pick and when she doesn’t respond, be like “Hey, Hi, hey, u there?, what’s up, do you hate me?” Of course she hates you. That was ridiculous.
 

Don't send her a picture of your dick

Is this life? Am I really writing this? It's crazy how many girls tell me dudes just decide they're going to send them a picture of their dick and act like that's an acceptable thing to do.  Anytime you think a girl is hinting at wanting a dick pic after you've been talking for 5 minutes, you're wrong. Even if they do say that, they're probably just showing it to their friends while they all laugh because like, what the fuck dude? TC mark

Lust At First Sight: 5 People Describe The Hottest Sex They’ve Ever Had With A Horny Stranger

Posted: 12 Oct 2015 10:46 AM PDT

Shutterstock, Maksim Shirkov Shutterstock, Maksim Shirkov

1. From riding the subway to riding each other (female, 26)

“I caught him staring at me on the subway and when our eyes locked, it was like we both knew we'd be naked together within the hour. He stepped off the train at the next stop and I followed, even though I wasn’t anywhere near my destination. Somehow, he seemed to know that I was trailing him. Moments after climbing the steps to exit, he turned suddenly in the street and stood there waiting for me to catch up. I practically sprinted the last few steps so I could wrap my arms around his neck. He grabbed my ass cheeks, lifted me up, and carried me down the street, the bulge of his crotch teasing my vagina just enough to get me sopping wet. We checked into the nearest hotel room and fucked our brains out for hours without even exchanging names. Then we said our good-byes and went our separate ways.”

2. A bathroom built for quickies (male, 30)

“I was visiting a mid-sized city on business and I spotted her seated alone at the bar of a no-name restaurant. She was reading a book and picking at a plate of fries between sips of white wine. She wore flats and a sensible skirt and blouse, but her auburn hair was tousled in a way that told me she wasn't the conservative type. There was an animal inside her. I took the stool next to hers but she didn’t acknowledge me, let alone put down her book. So I touched her thigh tenderly—careful not to scare her—to transmit the sexual energy I could sense brewing between us. We didn’t bother with dull pleasantries, abandoning our seats within seconds so we could go at it in the bathroom. It was a quickie, but a ravenous one. I ripped her shirt open and buried my face in her chest as she massaged my hard dick and then I fucked her standing up. We came simultaneously. It was the best sex I've had in years.”

3. A midsummer night’s wet dream (female, 32)

We were both someone's last minute date to the house party where we met. Neither of us knew the host, nor any of the other guests. But from the second we bumped into each other at the bar, equally eager to refresh our drinks, it seemed as if we'd known each other for years already. Since it was storming and particularly cold out for a summer night, we knew no one else would brave the screened porch. So that’s where we went, shortly after introducing ourselves. Name, occupation, astrological signs. That's all the information we traded before embracing passionately and touching each other all over, our bodies like those of two frantic lovers reunited after months apart. We dry humped for what seemed like hours before we had actual intercourse. Lightning struck right as I climaxed, and I screamed the loudest I've ever screamed during sex, trusting that the thunder would drown me out.

4. The waiter who redefined “full service” (male, 28)

“I was 25 at the time, working as a waiter at a fancy Caribbean resort. She was middle-aged, 48 maybe, but fit, on a girls' vacation for the long weekend with a bunch of other women married to rich guys. She’d decided to do her own thing for a couple hours, I think, because she was alone there in the lounge. I could tell right away that she needed to get laid, and I felt like it was my duty on some level to be the man she used that night. After serving her a third martini on the house (trust me, even wealthy women love a free drink), I told her to wait for me inside the bungalow situated right between the pool and Jacuzzi. I'd be off in 15 minutes, I told her. By the time I arrived, she was already naked, splayed across a lounge chair, nipples erect. When she saw me, she slid her hand down her abdomen slowly until it was between her thighs and started playing with her clit, delicate but determined, as if instructing me. I stripped off all my clothes as fast as possible to join in the action before she could make herself climax. It was unreal. Names weren’t necessary.”

5. The best medical attention possible (female, 35)

“He was a doctor at the end of his shift and I had just finished visiting a friend who was hospitalized after a minor surgery. I could see that he was exhausted, but the disheveled doctor off duty look was exactly what I craved. It had always been a fantasy of mine to hook up with a man in scrubs and this was the right one, my gut said. So I tapped him on the shoulder and asked him outright if he wanted to fuck. He was stunned at first, but then he snapped into action. He led me to a medical supplies closet with a spare cot where the doctors sometimes nap and locked the door behind us. Then he kissed every inch of my body and plunged his cock inside me. It was everything I’d hoped for. Now I can move onto ‘sex with a fireman,’ I guess.” TC mark

This Is By Far The Most Unsettling Crime Scene I Was Ever Called To

Posted: 12 Oct 2015 06:41 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 9.41.08 PM

The crime scene was an impossibility. The blood, emanating from the masticated corpse on the floor defied gravity. It gained feet. Inexplicably, it seemed to dance on the floor, crawl up the wall, and waltz through the focal point above. As I examined the hole in the ceiling, I saw that it formed a pattern. It was slight but intentional. Something I had never seen before in spite of my years of experience. I let my eyes survey the scene once more. Really soaking it in. Outside of the mystifying fact that the blood of the victim decided to escape through the ceiling and the pattern that accompanied it, it seemed like the "normal" scene of a stabbing. The knife lay in the center of his chest. Everything was where it should be except for the goddamned blood. This perplexed me to say the least. I spent another hour surveying the apartment, scratching my head the entire time, I turned to regard the landlord. She had a look on her face that only confused me further. She saw what I saw. The absolute mystery of it all. But there was no perplexion on her face. What I saw was a look of understanding, of inevitability.

"Ma'am, who lives in the apartment upstairs?"

In a calculated whisper she spoke.

"The Devil."

A chill ran down my spine. Her delivery was so certain and delivered with such sincerity that it only served to accentuate this surreal tableau. I knew then and there I would receive no answers from her.

"Excuse me, miss?"

"The Devil lives there," pointing upwards.

She said this with the same detached delivery. I regarded her with a smile only to defuse my own anxiety. This had no effect. Nothing could put me at ease. Any further questioning was met with silence.

I ambled up the stairs. With measured steps, I approached the unit above the crime scene. My breath caught in my throat when I saw that the door was ajar. I drew my weapon and pushed the door open.

The apartment seemed normal enough. The foyer was unremarkable, and everything was in order in the adjacent kitchen.

However, the bedroom door was closed. Anxiety filled me once again, as I could see a light emanating from beneath.

It glowed and waved. It beckoned me. Before I knew what I was doing, the door was open and I was standing in the doorway.

The light was crimson. The candles surrounding the body emitted an enigmatic red light. There was a pattern on the floor, very deliberate. Ritualistic, I gleaned for a brief moment. Every time I allowed my eyes to focus on it. It seemed to shift. It careened through my vision refusing to stay constant. Unlike the body on the floor, whose stiffness only served to draw my eyes to the movement of the symbol that surrounded it.

The trance I found myself in abated momentarily. I flicked the light in the bedroom to see that the body lay off center from the hole leading to the apartment below. In my horror, I observed that the blood from below was feeding the naked body of the man that lay before me.

I turned around for a moment to call this in to my superior.

I looked back again to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind.

The body was gone.

The light turned off.

A howling wind blew from the open windows and put out the candles.

Suddenly I could feel the breath on the nape of my neck. I stood still for a moment dreading what would lay before me if I turned around. I gathered my courage and saw hi- … it. I immediately dropped my firearm. Neck unhinged, every joint in his body danced in unison to the blood that was now filling the air of the dank apartment. The blood surrounded me. It moved in grotesque angles entering and exiting the thing that was now reaching for me.

Without a moment's hesitation, I ran through the darkness for an escape. As I opened the door, a figure grabbed me. I fell prostrate to the floor.

It was the landlord. She had the same detached visage of terror tempered by understanding. She spoke her words to me in a whisper once again. I found my strength and got to my feet.

Those words play through my head as I lay in bed now. Repeating themselves over and over again. I close my eyes. Prayer is all I have now.

"The Devil lived there… Now, he lives with you." TC mark

27 Quotes From Famous, Powerful Women On How They Learned To Love Themselves

Posted: 08 Oct 2015 02:04 PM PDT

Beyonce Knowles Instagram
Beyonce Knowles Instagram

Tina Fey

1. “Do your thing and don’t care if they like it.”

2. “If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: who cares?”

3. “So, my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism, or ageism, or lookism, or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: "Is this person in between me and what I want to do?" If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you're in charge, don't hire the people who were jerky to you.”


America Ferreira

4. “How much time have I wasted on diets and what I look like? Take your time and your talent and figure out what you have to contribute to this world. And get over what the hell your butt looks like in those jeans!”


Oprah Winfrey 

5. “I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.”

6. “Self-esteem comes from being able to define the world in your own terms and refusing to abide by the judgments of others.”


Kelly Clarkson

7. “Whether I put on weight or take it off, someone's got something to say, so what I've figured is this: As long as I'm healthy and happy, cool. I'm just me — take it or leave it. And personally, I think I'm looking good!”


BeyoncĂ© Knowles

8. “When you love and accept yourself, when you know who really cares about you, and when you learn from your mistakes, then you stop caring about what people who don’t know you think.”

9. “We all have our imperfections. But I’m human, and you know, it’s important to concentrate on other qualities besides outer beauty.”


Iyanla Vanzant

10. “Acceptance means that you know, regardless of what happened, that there is something bigger than you at work. It also means you know that you are okay and that you will continue to be okay.”


J. K. Rowling

11. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.”

12. “I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do.  Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons. Let them never be Stupid Girls.”


Amy Schumer

13. “I’m not a traffic-stopping model or the smartest person in the room. The more you get to know me, the prettier I become. In my act, I have a joke: ‘I know what I look like. You’d bang me, but you wouldn’t blog about it.’ My real beauty lies in my humor, my strength, the kind of sister, daughter, and friend I am. But more than anything, it lies in my ability to truly not give a shit what anyone thinks of me. Because I know what I think. The other night onstage, after I said a joke about how I’m superstitious and constantly knocking on wood, which is really embarrassing, especially if you don’t know the guy, an audience member yelled out, ‘Whore!’ I fired right back with ‘Why are you saying that like it’s a bad thing?’ I win.”

14. “I still stand in front of that mirror sometimes with doubts. But even on my worst day when I’m feeling awful, I smile and say, “You’re doing the best you can. Good job, bitch!”


Kerry Washington

15. “I don’t have to be perfect. All I have to do is show up and enjoy the messy, imperfect, and beautiful journey of my life.”


Brene Brown

16. “The truth is: Belonging starts with self-acceptance. Your level of belonging, in fact, can never be greater than your level of self-acceptance, because believing that you’re enough is what gives you the courage to be authentic, vulnerable and imperfect.”

17. “I spent a lot of years trying to outrun or outsmart vulnerability by making things certain and definite, black and white, good and bad. My inability to lean into the discomfort of vulnerability limited the fullness of those important experiences that are wrought with uncertainty: Love, belonging, trust, joy, and creativity to name a few.”

18. “What’s the greater risk? Letting go of what people think – or letting go of how I feel, what I believe, and who I am?”


Rihanna

19. “You shouldn't be pressured into trying to be thin by the fashion industry, because they only want models that are like human mannequins…But you have to remember that it's not practical or possible for an everyday woman to look like that. Being size zero is a career in itself so we shouldn't try and be like them. It's not realistic and it's not healthy.”


Amy Poehler

20. “Decide what your currency is early. Let go of what you will never have. People who do this are happier and sexier.”

21. “Looking silly can be ver powerful. People who are committing and taking risks become the king and queen of my prom. People are their most beautiful when they are laughing, crying, dancing, playing, telling the truth, and being chased in a fun way.”


Michelle Obama

22. “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.”


Jennifer Lawrence

23. “I'm never going to starve myself for a part… I don't want little girls to be like, ‘Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I'm going to skip dinner.’ That's something I was really conscious of during training, when you're trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong — not thin and underfed.”


Mindy Kaling

24. “There’s a whole list of things I would probably change about myself. For example, I’m always trying to lose 15 pounds. But I never need to be skinny. I don’t want to be skinny. I’m constantly in a state of self-improvement.”


Sheryl Sandberg

25. “We hold ourselves back in ways both big and small, by lacking self-confidence, by not raising our hands, and by pulling back when we should be leaning in.”


Ellen DeGeneres

26. “Find out who you are and be that person. That’s what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come.”

27. “It’s our challenges and obstacles that give us layers of depth and make us interesting. Are they fun when they happen? No. But they are what make us unique. And that’s what I know for sure… I think.” TC mark

The 10 Most Haunted Places In Minnesota

Posted: 12 Oct 2015 03:49 PM PDT

The Ramsey County Courthouse

Ramsey County Minnesota
Ramsey County Minnesota

Ramsey County Courthouse is an Art Deco building in downtown St. Paul built in 1932. Late night workers are said to have heard displaced laughing, had their tools go missing, and even seen manifestations of a someone hanging from a noose. Some people believe the skyscraper to be haunted the by the spirit of a criminal executed before the building was even erected, William Williams. Williams was convicted of the murder of his lover, Johnny Kelly. He was hung and is the last person to be executed through capital punishment in the state of Minnesota. As a result of being too tall for the gallows, it took 14 minutes for him to die while hanging from the noose.

The Palmer House Hotel

Long considered one of the most haunted locations in Minnesota, the Palmer House Hotel is frequently investigated by the likes of Ghost Adventures and the Darkness Radio crew. It is said a small boy who died while staying at the Palmer House haunts the building, as well as a “lanky man dressed in 1920′s-30′s.” People here a child laughing in the hallway or running up and down the halls, even when no children are actually staying there.

The Fitzgerald Theater

Appraiser
Appraiser

Built in 1910, the Fitzgerald Theater is the oldest theater in Minnesota and where Garrison Keillor’s famous A Prairie Home Companion is performed. Workers in the theater have experienced cold spots and seen ghosts walking around. One ghost is believed to be an old stagehand named “Ben” who moves the current worker’s tools around.

The black angel statue in Oakland Cemetery

Facebook
Facebook

The cemetery proper is said to be haunted by the ghost of a long-haired woman. But, there used to be a black angel statue in the yard that was super haunted. Neighborhood kids would dare each other to kiss it’s lips — the rumor was this act meant imminent death. The statue has been removed from the cemetery and is being held in an undisclosed location. It will be returned to it’s home in 100 years.

Grey Cloud Island

Grey Cloud Island on Facebook
Grey Cloud Island on Facebook

Grey Cloud Island is a rural piece of land outside of Cottage Grove, Minnesota. It has the distinction of having the most Native American burial mounds in the country. Paranormal activity here is widely reported and usually consists of visible balls of white or green light roaming the landscape at night. Even more frightening are the tales of people being run off the roads by angry locals in a white or off-white truck who don’t want people investigating or ghost hunting.

The James Gamble House

Teemu008
Teemu008

The home that inspired F. Scott Fitzgerald’s This Side of Paradise is said to be haunted by 12-20 ghosts, possibly a result of a prohibition era speakeasy that may have been in the basement.

The Griggs Mansion

Located on St. Paul’s Summit Ave this home is on the national registry of haunted places. The Pioneer Press once sent reporters to spend the night in the mansion, and they didn’t last the night. The home has several reports of hauntings though it’s reputation may be established (and exaggerated) by a biased party: the head of a controversial publishing company, Llewelyn Publishing, who publishes books about hauntings. If you’re interested, the home is currently on the market for $1.1 million.

Forepaugh’s Restaurant

Forepaugh's Facebook page
Forepaugh’s Facebook page

In the late 1800’s Joseph Forepaugh built a 3-story mansion in the exclusive Irvine district in St. Paul. At one point he impregnated his maid, Molly, when she confronted him about it, he fired her. It is said that she went to the Henry Sibley dining room on the mansion’s third floor and hung herself out the window for all the neighbors to see with the noose wrapped around the chandelier which you can still see from the street. Today, the mansion serves as a restaurant whose employees complain that “Molly” turns lights on and off, breaks glasses, and generally causes mischief in the front of the house.

First Ave

Mulad
Mulad

Every important band in the last 40 years has played at First Avenue in Minneapolis. Lucinda Williams was married there. Purple Rain was filmed there. And, if rumor is to believed, a woman once hung herself in the fifth stall of the woman’s bathroom. Some patrons and staff report opening the stall to see the grisly scene recreated before their eyes.

The Soap Factory

John
John

The old factory turned art venue has a famously haunted basement, and it’s not a fun, friendly, mischievous spirit. Skilled paranormal investigators have called the presence “demonic.” No one knows for sure where the malevolent spirit came from. There’s a creepy backstory about the actual soap making (which involves lots and lots of animal carcasses) and the factory’s use in making artificial limbs, but no accounts of murders or suicides on the premises. Sound like a cover up? In any case this is one of the easiest locations to visit and get a good scare from. Every October The Soap Factory hosts a haunted basement so scary you have to sign a waiver. TC mark

12 Things To Know Before Dating A ‘Perpetually Single’ Girl

Posted: 09 Oct 2015 04:56 PM PDT

Tintim
Tintim

I admittedly have not been a relationship in a long time. It's not because I don't date; it's for a myriad of reasons that have been talked about and explored in several pieces on the internet and over many cocktails with my friends. But whatever the reasons may be, I am sort of a perpetually single girl.

There are a lot of things that come up with being single that make dating, once you decide to do it, a little tricky. Maybe it's simply getting used to another human being around you, or maybe it's something a little deeper. The following are some tips and tricks for the other party if they end up in a relationship with a girl who's been sans "plus one" for some time.

1. We can take care of ourselves but that's not a bad thing.

We've gotten used to fending for ourselves and "looking out for number one" because, simply, we had to do so. There wasn't anyone else to kill the spiders or to help us put the fitted sheet on the bed. We got used to filling out doctor's information sheets without texting our mom about what our blood types were because when there's just you, that's all you can rely on. That doesn't mean we don't want you to be there to help us, it just means sometimes you'll be on the way to replace the showerhead and we've already done it ourselves.

2. We're probably going to suck to sleep with.

I don't mean the sex part of sleeping with someone, I mean the actually passed out part. Think about it. We haven't had to share the bed with anyone for a while and therefore, have developed an alone sleeping routine. I'm sorry about all of the kicking and blanket hogging you're about to subject yourself to but hey, it comes with the territory.

3. Our friends are our family and you have to deal with it.

Single girls have been ditched so many times for boyfriends or girlfriends and have been the shoulder to cry on for a while and that's probably not going to change. There will be times where you're on your way over for some Netflixing & Chilling and when you show up, there are two girls you didn't expect to see struggling to open a bottle of wine in the kitchen and arguing about Scandal. Look at the silver lining: you have an IN when your girlfriend is mad at you if you get in good with them. They know her better than anyone and want to see your relationship thrive. So help them open the chardonnay and trust me, they will help you out when the time comes.

4. She's going to split the bill. But she still likes you.

She is not going to expect you to pay for everything. She's been paying for her own tacos and drinks for some time now and doesn't expect that now that you're here she doesn't have to. Just let her. She still wants to get weird later.

5. It will probably be a while before you meet the parents.

Once your mom says, "Oh god another one?!" when you bring up someone you're casually seeing, you tend to wait for someone truly special before bringing them to a family cookout. Just wait it out. You'll get to grill with her dad (while being GRILLED by her dad, if you know what I mean) eventually.

6. Yes, she has a lot of stuff; No, you should not mess with it.

It's been just her for so long that yeah, she's probably accumulated a bunch of things because there was no one else to buy the couch or the slow cooker. If she wanted to make chili, she had to buy the pot. But don't start suggesting you'd like a drawer and there'd be room if she got rid of some sweaters. It's pushy and will probably push you away.

7. She will have no problem talking to strangers.

When you go on a lot of dates, you figure out how to have actual, real conversations with people. This translates to anywhere and everywhere. The Uber driver, the bartender, the random lady selling essential oils at the market. Consider yourself lucky because she will never be the awkward one sitting in the corner on her phone at your company party.

8. It may take a while for her to truly let you in.

Yep. We're getting deep for a second. Face it, she's been single for a reason and she is most likely expecting that you won't always be around. She doesn't want to break down those single girl walls only to have you bounce in four weeks. Once she honest to god believes that you aren't going anywhere, then she'll start to peel away the layers. Just be patient. Because once she does, she'll never leave your side.

9. Dying alone jokes are only funny when we make them.

You didn't save us from spinsterhood, you didn't white knight us. You asked us out and we said yes. Moving right along.

10. She knows you like her, but she's going to wonder why for a while.

She likes herself, she's had to because it was just her. It's not a sign of not being confident it's just that weird, "Wait he ACTUALLY likes me?!" amazement that comes initially. It won't last forever, but for a little while she'll probably think you're a figment of her imagination. She's checking your pulse while you're sleeping because she cares.

11. Trust takes time.

Like with any friendship and relationship, romantic or otherwise, it's going to take time for her to trust you. Don't expect it overnight. But once it comes, congratulations. You've landed yourself a girl who will be fiercely loyal, never expect you to change a light bulb for her (got that stepstool for a reason), and be really excited every time you text her back.

12. Sorry about all the condoms.

At least you don't have to buy them? TC mark

10 Things To Do When You Need A Change Of Scene But Can’t Actually Go Anywhere

Posted: 10 Oct 2015 07:00 AM PDT

Twenty20 / santiago__cervantes
Twenty20 / santiago__cervantes

When you’re just not feeling your day-to-day routine, but realistically can’t get away, it can leave you feeling uninspired. The good news is you don’t need to move cross-country to feel renewed.

1. Rearrange your furniture.

This may sound a bit feng shui, but if you’re in the mood for change, and sick of waking up to your usual apartment, moving around your furniture might be refreshing.

2. Paint a wall.

Channel your inner artist, and give your white walls some color. Even if you rent, and want your security deposit back, you can always paint back over it. If your walls could talk they’d say, “paint me,” so go for it!

3. Take a weekend road trip.

We all have commitments whether it’s work, school, or family, but most of us have some free time on the weekends. Get in a car, or get on pub-trans and leave! Go explore something that you don’t wake up to everyday.

4. Meet someone new.

Strike up conversation with a complete stranger. It might lead to something interesting! They may have plenty of stories to tell that could fuel your inspiration. You don’t have to make new best friends, but being friendly never hurts.

5. Read a travel book.

You might not physically be able to escape your daily life, but you can certainly read about someone else doing so. Reading about travel will give you travel envy, but hopefully that will motivate you to make your travel dreams reality.

6. Redecorate.

Similar to rearranging furniture, adding some new decorations to your living or working space can refresh your mind. This doesn’t mean you have to empty your wallet at Pier 1 Imports. Try your hand at some DIY projects you find on Pinterest. If you succeed you can share it on social media with all of your friends, “Look what I made!” If you fail miserably you can still share it on social media with all of your friends, “Look what I tried to make, but didn’t!”

7. Eat/drink somewhere you’ve never been.

It’s great when you have a go-to bar or restaurant where you know you can order your favorites, but think of all the undiscovered places that could potentially become your new favorite! You’ll never know until you try, so next weekend when you’re thinking about going to that same old bar, don’t and try somewhere else.

8. Cook something exotic.

If you want to travel to Thailand, but can’t, cook something you could eat in Thailand instead. Push aside your daily cooking excuses (time, money, culinarily challenged) and master that red curry like you’re on Top Chef. Your kitchen will smell like Thailand, good enough right?

9. Add something new to your daily routine.

Your daily routine feels boring because it happens everyday. If you spice things up once in a while, it will feel less daily, and more spontaneous. Instead of going to the same food cart everyday for lunch, pack a sandwich and walk to a park. Little changes can make your day more interesting.

10. Start a travel fund.

If you really want to get away, but don’t have the financial means to do so, start saving. That dress you bought, but haven’t worn yet, those few extra rounds of drinks at the bar, begin to put that money towards your desired destination. Think about it, one hundred dollars each month is 1,200 dollars by the end of the year. That’ll get you somewhere outside of your own state, or country. It might take a bit of time, but the change of scene will be worth it. TC mark

This Is What Motorbiking Across Bali Taught Me About Life

Posted: 10 Oct 2015 07:00 AM PDT

Life Before 30
Life Before 30

Bali is stupidly beautiful, but you wouldn't notice it at first when you land at Denpasar airport and make the two-hour journey north to Ubud. What you do notice are Balinese families stacked onto motorcycles like small houses of cards, babies swaddled in the left nook of the drivers' arms like coconuts and only slightly older children hanging on the back, dozing off as if they were sitting in the backseat of the car.

Men drive and smoke cigarettes with no hands and schoolgirls whiz by with friends sitting sideways on the back, toes dangling perilously close to the potholes. Tens of thousands of these motorbikes sped past my taxi window, passing on blind curves and weaving a smoggy, motorized braid of metal and rubber towards Bali's endless temples and rice paddies, an absolute surrendered belief to the goodness of the universe seeming to govern everyone at the handlebars. Naturally, I mused, I had to try this.

But the old "when in Rome" adage might have well been the end of me. It was my 26th birthday and one of my best friends had flown in from New York to join me for this leg of the trip. We agreed to spend 10 days of pure Bali bliss together before I went north to Laos and made my way towards India solo. Thankfully she's as adventurous (or moronic) as I am, so I had no trouble persuading her to take a cross-Bali scooter trip with me for my birthday. We rented our motorbikes with surprising ease: a quick check of our international licenses and a stern warning to obey traffic laws, ie. stop at red lights even when the locals don't.

We had the local equivalent of $10 in small bills for police bribes ready in case we got pulled over for doing something stupid — or just being foreign — and we were off across Ubud for a test run. The bikes turned out to be as easy to drive as Bali is gorgeous, but the tricky part was navigating in Indonesian traffic. My heart pounded against my chest and I hoped the jeans and denim shirt I had chosen to protect my skin would be enough if I toppled over into a gravel pit next to a rice paddy.

On one of my first laps through town, motorbikes, cars, trucks with chickens on the back raced around us and I immediately wondered why I ever imagined Balinese roads as wide beach-side thoroughfares with plenty of cruising room. In one particularly frightening scenario, a truck carrying a giant golden Buddha statue in its flatbed (seriously, only in Bali) cut me off in an unfortunate spot, causing me to stall on a hill at a red light and roll backwards into traffic.

A terrifying series of events unfolded where my brain stopped communicating with my hands and a spastic attempt to brake floored the gas and sent me nearly flying into a pole on the side of the intersection.

Luckily, several concerned locals pulled up next to me to make sure I was okay. It turns out I was not okay. This was a bad idea. But what do you do when you fall off a horse? I asked myself after a nice Balinese man backed my bike away from the pole and parked it safely for me. You get back on the horse. That's when the next 5 days of managing Balinese roads began to teach me a lot about life, starting with my notion of fear.

While I'm someone who on repeated occasions has thought nothing of packing up and heading on her own to a foreign part of the globe or hitchhiking around random countries in Asia or descending into small, dark caves in Guatemala with nothing but a 12-year old guide and a candle, I'm not very good at confronting other types of fear, like driving a motorbike, which literally millions of people do everyday. I felt both scared and incapable, and while my instinct was to abandon this dubious brainchild of mine, I was pained knowing an entire island awaited my exploration (or maybe dreaded it and hoped foreign people would stop insisting on driving themselves around). From somewhere way beyond my body's survival mechanisms, a new-found "if they can do it, I can do it too" determination set in.

Life Before 30
Life Before 30

Over the next several days, I experienced the raw-dropping sights of Bali at my own speed and discretion, and realized that I had successfully done so by simply focusing on myself. I couldn't control anything on the road except my own bike and I had a duty to myself and others around me to drive as responsibly as humanly possible.

That's all you can do in life, too, right? Take care of yourself first and by doing so, you're taking care of everyone around you.

I maintained a razor sharp focus on what was immediately in front of me and never lost track of the moment. There was no space for daydreaming or navigating or thinking about anything except where my front wheel was going and who was immediately around me. That enhanced sense of presence has to be something close to what monks feel after a week's worth of good meditation.

It came in handy on a few harrowing occasions where I had to weave my bike between a deep ravine on my left and a long row of trucks on my right and that do-or-die tunnel vision kept me on the narrow ledge of safety. I couldn't tell myself "don't hit the trucks, don't hit the trucks" or else I would have hit the trucks. Instead, I had to focus on where I wanted to go and how I wanted to maneuver, not on where and what I wanted to avoid. How many times do we NOT do that in life? How many times do we look at our past and tell ourselves, "Don't do that. Don't repeat that mistake. Don't fall in love again. Don't be jealous. Don't make a fool of yourself."

We think about the worse case scenario and our lack of focus on the direction we should be going inhibits the wild success that could be. But let me tell you, imagining the best case scenario and living orgasmically in the moment was what kept me on the bike and out of the ditch. In order to be that intensely "in the moment," a lot of off-road planning had to take place.

Strategy sessions over the map and pulling over to ask locals in our broken Bahasa were the keys to safety. Once we went speeding off, we didn't dare distract ourselves from our motorcycle zen with navigation of any kind. Each time we stopped to regroup, I kept thinking how setting aside time for contemplation, inspiration, and goal-setting was just as important in our daily lives — an essential type of navigation that could help us stay us focused on the present moment while still reaching a meaningful destination.

I also saw the firsthand importance of taking my time. While that final destination was certainly in mind, I could be in no rush to get there with any realistic hope of arrival.

I drove slowly and let the Balinese weave around me, blaring their horns in impatience, but I didn't mind. My true New Yorker best friend had a harder time with that, imploring me to speed up on the next leg, but I never understood why. As much a part of the "next!" generation as the next twenty-something, I was relishing the idea that for once I didn't need to worry about who or what or where was next and could simply enjoy the breeze and the sun-soaked rice terraces (when another Balinese Buddha truck wasn't bearing down on me, that is).

So we'd stop on bridges and take pictures; we'd pull over at random temples; we'd pause to go stick our toes in the sand. This is how I wanted to live life, now and forever. Best of all, I learned to believe that I can do anything another human being can do — whether or not that is absolutely fact is irrelevant to the nourishing confidence it invokes. Like the old saying "Imagine you know what you are doing" goes, I am a fear-facing, testifying-under-oath witness to the notion that we can all rise to the occasion when we simply believe, foolishly or not, that we can. TC mark

10 Reasons Why You Should Work At A Restaurant At Least Once In Your Life

Posted: 09 Oct 2015 10:35 AM PDT

Flickr / michael davis-burchat
Flickr / michael davis-burchat

 

1. You have to work your way up.

There is no better way to understand the concept of being the low man on the totem pole, and how to work your way up. You start as a host/hostess or busser, you move up to server, maybe bartender, but you have to earn it. If you're lazy, it won't happen.

2. You learn how to deal with difficult people.

Restaurant patrons love asserting that the customer is always right, especially when they are so, SO wrong. You can't hide in the service industry. You can only kill 'em with kindness.

3. You have to fake it 'til you make it.

This goes along with the last point. You might have slept like shit, be really hungover, be sick, have a headache, or any number of ailments that make speaking to other humans unbearable. In the restaurant industry if you let your composure slip, then you don't make money, plain and simple.

4. You will develop an untouchable optimism.

Did you spill salsa on your new jeans today? Probably. Did you drop five glasses in front of your table? Maybe. Is your hair sticking together because there is soda in it? Most likely. Weird and annoying stuff happens every day that you work in a restaurant. If you aren't optimistic and able to laugh it off, then this isn't the job for you.

5. You will meet some of the best people that you will admire for the rest of your life.

You have the funniest and most strange conversations with the people you work with in restaurants. You will meet people from all walks of life. Maybe they've been there twenty years, or they're seasonal, but no matter what they can teach you something. Either way, you are in the ultimate melting pot of age and personality, where, for the most part, everyone is on the same playing field. And it's awesome.

6. You learn how to multitask.

Remember table 6's drink order, table 1 needs extra napkins, table 3 wants a side of ranch, and table 12 has been waiting 25 minutes for food you so better check on that… Oh and drop of these dinners NOW.

7. You learn how to multitask quickly.

None of the above can get done slowly, because in ten minutes there will be another ten things to do. People who work in restaurants know how to do many things at once, and do them correctly the first time, because there isn't time for a redo.

8. You can't avoid a customer.

Some jobs make it easy to avoid your customers if you're having an off day. In a restaurant, there is no way to hide. You will learn to approach conflict head on, rather than avoid or make excuses. I can promise this will come in handy down the road.

9. You learn to be a part of a team.

If you aren't willing to help other people then they are not going to help you. If someone doesn't have time to grab something and you're sitting around, then you offer. It's all about give and take in this business, because you never know when you might need a favor too.

10. You know the importance of tipping.

Hands down, this is the most important reason I think everyone should work in a restaurant just once. Many people say they don't tip because it took a long time to get their food, their drinks or food weren't good, or any number of things. What they don't realize is that most of these things are out of the control of your server. Oh and that server is making much less than minimum wage trying to accommodate you. A good tip means more than you realize.

Working in a restaurant is no walk in the park, especially depending on where you work. But, you walk away with a family that you'll never forget, stories that you will always look back and laugh at and some damn good interpersonal skills.

Cheers to all the restaurants out there, for better or worse, you'll always be my first love. TC mark